Even with the standardized company processes and centralized information shops supplied by SAP, a great deal corporate information nonetheless resides in spreadsheets. Taking information in these spreadsheets and placing them into SAP remains a single of the thorny challenges facing lots of corporate IT departments. Numerous company departments are wasting sources in manually reentering this information into SAP though introducing errors due to manual information entry. Functional and technical analysts in the IT departments are inundated with requests from company customers to automate the upload of Excel information into SAP.
o Are you an SAP company user seeking to minimize manual information entry for mass uploads or mass alterations to SAP information, especially when the information currently exists in Excel?
o Are you an IT functional or technical analyst seeking for techniques to service the finish-user requests for information uploadd a lot more correctly?
o Are you seeking for techniques that your organization can save time and sources in SAP information management?
If you answered “Yes” to any of the above inquiries, then this report is for you. This report describes 7 very best practices in automating the upload of Excel information into SAP. Adopting these very best practices will alleviate lots of of the pains that company customers and IT analysts face in uploading Excel information to SAP.
1. Steer clear of Programming. With the various non-programming options offered to connect Excel and SAP, custom programming in ABAP or VB should really be the absolute final resort for ad-hoc uploading Excel information to SAP. Not only programming is pricey and time consuming, a system that will be employed only as soon as or even as soon as a year is especially wasteful. Additional, generating robust applications need a fair bit of testing and if a system has not been effectively-tested, it could be harmful and trigger irreparable information harm.
Use a scripting or a non-programming method as a great deal as feasible. SAP supplied tools such as BDC, CATT, LSMW, and third celebration tools such as Winshuttle's TxShuttle will enable you to stay away from programming to a significant extent.
2. Do not Upload Straight to SAP tables. Even though this point is pretty clear, it can't be overemphasized. Writing straight to SAP tables avoids all the information validation and checks and balances that come about when generating information by way of the typical SAP transactions. So, stay away from utilizing any process that writes straight to SAP tables.
Usually upload information by way of the pre-configured SAP transactions or BAPIs. Once more, utilizing tools such as BDC, CATT, or LSMW, or TxShuttle will enable the upload of information by way of SAP transactions as an alternative of writing straight to SAP tables.
3. Opt for a Record, Map, and Run method. A record, map, and run method usually includes very first recording an SAP transaction exactly where information desires to be uploaded. The recording step is followed by a mapping step exactly where the SAP information fields captured through the recording are mapped to the Excel fields. Lastly, the transaction is run more than and more than once more with the various rows of information in the Excel file. A Record, Map, and Run method is comparable to recording and operating macros for automating routine tasks.
The benefits of selecting a record, map, and run method are that (a) it is pretty common and can operate effectively for lots of various upload tasks and lots of various SAP transactions, even with custom transactions, (b) it is a pretty straightforward and intuitive method and saves a lot of time generating a mass information update, (c) it is some thing that even the company customers can do themselves devoid of requiring a great deal IT help.
A record, map, and run method should really be employed for uploading information from Excel to SAP. Once more, the SAP supplied tools, such as BDC, CATT, and LSMW all help such a method and can operate for lots of various upload applications. The TxShuttle tool simplifies the mapping recording and mapping tasks a lot and tends to make it even a lot easier for company customers. Also, for applications that need upload of transactional information containing header and line-products, such as journal vouchers, invoices, buy orders, sales orders, and so forth., the TxShuttle tool has characteristics that make it genuinely valuable.
4. Opt for a Safe and SOX Compliant Approach: Make positive the process you opt for is safe and preserves SAP's function-primarily based safety. In these days of Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) audits, this point can't be overemphasized. One particular crucial aspect of section 404 is checking that rights and duties are separately assigned to various men and women so that no person has the energy to divert company or transactions in a fraudulent manner. One particular of the most widespread open SOX audit troubles is that customers in the IT departments have pretty broad access to production information in SAP. Consequently to ease compliant with SOX, any mass alterations or uploads should really ideally be performed by the company customers who are currently authorized to make the alter.
To enable company customers to carry out the upload by way of SAP-supplied transaction-primarily based tools, they would require added authorizations to use these tools. If your organization is not capable to present such authorizations, the use of Winshuttle's TxShuttle solution may possibly be a lot more suitable because it lives outdoors the core SAP program and usually does not need added authorizations.
5. Hold the information in native Excel format. If the information to be uploaded stays in the native Excel format, rather than becoming converted to comma-delimited or tab-delimited text file formats, it tends to make the upload method a great deal easier. One particular significantly less step for the customers to be concerned about.
The use of Winshuttle's TxShuttle solution permits the customers to retain their information in native Excel format.
6. Choose an outdoors-in method: The two approaches to bringing outdoors information into SAP are: (a) an inside-out method exactly where the information import tools reside inside SAP are employed to bring outdoors information into SAP, and (b) an outdoors-in method exactly where the tools living outdoors SAP are employed to bring outdoors information into SAP. An inside-out method ordinarily demands all the information import scripts and applications to reside inside SAP and consequently require to be maintained as SAP versions are upgraded, even when the scripts are a single-time-use only. Therefore, these a single-time use scripts clutter the SAP program when utilizing the inside-out method. An outdoors-in method delivers a cleaner option that can be employed with the user's current safety profiles.
The announcement of Microsoft and SAP's joint solution, Mendocinno, not too long ago validates the significance that each firms give to an outdoors-in method. Other add-on items such as TxShuttle also take an outdoors-in method to connect to SAP.
7. Empower company customers: On a final note, a single of the very best practices in uploading Excel information to SAP is to empower company customers to do the upload themselves. The decision of the ideal tool for the company customers which will allow them to effortlessly upload information devoid of requiring any programming will go a lengthy way to freeing up IT sources for a lot more mission-vital applications. Letting company customers take handle of their personal information also tends to make SOX compliance a lot easier.
An straightforward to use solution such as Winshuttle's TxShuttle which will let company customers upload their personal information from Excel to SAP permits the empowering of these company customers.
In summary, the very best practices in uploading Excel information to SAP proposed right here involve selecting non-programmatic, straightforward-to-use approaches, and this will allow your organization to save significant amounts of time and sources in day-to-day SAP information management.